Wednesday, December 3, 2008

In the play All My Sons the characters must decide between benefiting society, or benefiting their own family. This decision is what the play revolves around. Joe Keller was in a position where he could either benefit his family or benefit society. He chooses family. When Joe Keller admits to his son, that he was the one that made the mistake Chris gets very angry, "For me! Where do you life, where have you come from? For me! -- I was dying every day and you were killing my boys and you did it for me? What the hell do you think I was thinking of, the Goddamn business? Is that as far as your mind can see, the business? What is that, the world the business? What the hell do you mean, you did it for me? Don't you have a country? Don't you live in the world? What the hell are you?" Chris doesn't understand how his father could pick benefiting his family, and his business, over saving many pilots. When he was dying, his father was worried about the business and family. Joe Keller chose to save his business instead of Innocent pilots. Joe Keller says, "You're a boy, what could I do! I'm in business, a man is in business; a hundred and twenty cracked, you're out of business." This goes to show that Joe Keller cares about his business more than many other things. He knew that if he didn't send the cracked cylinders his business would be done for. But if he sends them out, the planes could be in danger.

In my opinion Joe Keller was morally wrong for sending out the dangerous cracked cylinders. By doing this he killed 21 people and that is not okay just because he wanted to save the business so he could give it to Chris. I think that Chris had the right to get mad at his dad. I think that the right decision mostly depends on the consequences. Which consequence makes a bigger difference. In this case killing 21 people is a bigger consequence than losing the business, so choosing society over family is the right thing to do. On the other hand of your family is in extreme danger and society's consequence is small then helping the need of your family is more important. I think that most of the time, society has the bigger consequence and is more important to risk ones family for society.

1 comment:

Katherine M said...

I think your idea of weighing consequences on family versus consequences on society is a really good rule of thumb for deciding which to favor. However, I know I would have a really hard time being unbiased when I was weighing the consequences of my actions. I suppose that the law would also help you think rationally about your decision, because it is based off of what helps society and might counterbalance your personal bias toward your family.